Departments‎ > ‎

Child Nutrition

Great Things are Happening in Child Nutrition! 

School nutrition administrators and managers from across the state are participating in the North Carolina K-12 Culinary Institute. Two Stanly County Schools Child Nutrition Services administrators, Stefanie Almond (Director) and Danette Huneycutt (Supervisor) and five Child Nutrition managers, Laceta Blalock (South Stanly Middle), Tihesa Burns (South Stanly High), Makayla Mabry (Richfield Elementary), Barbara Massey (North Stanly Middle), and Cheryl Windham (Aquadale Elementary) participated in K-12 Culinary Institute regional workshops this summer at Cox Mill High School in Cabarrus County and Marvin Ridge High School in Union County. The N.C. K-12 Culinary Institute, designed to enhance nutrition offerings, is funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture Professional Standards Training Grant received by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) School Nutrition Section.

“The K-12 Culinary Institute is a unique opportunity for our school nutrition professionals to enhance culinary skills and glean tools and information critical to their important roles in providing quality, nutritious school meals,” said Stefanie Almond, Director of Child Nutrition for Stanly County Schools’ school nutrition program. 

The face to face and virtual institute was developed by the NCDPI School Nutrition Section and Chef Cyndie Story’s K-12 Culinary Team in order to meet five core objectives:

  • Improve student health, well-being, and academic success through nutritious, appealing meals at school,
  • Increase participation in high quality, enticing school nutrition programs,
  • Expand capacity of local school nutrition programs to purchase, prepare and serve fresh, locally grown produce,
  • Increase consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grain-rich foods, and
  • Provide continuing education opportunities for school nutrition personnel. 

The menus and recipes developed for the K-12 Culinary Institute include:

  • Scratch, convenience, and modified scratch products and techniques,
  • Instructions written for production amounts consistent with pack or pan sizes commonly available in school kitchens, and
  • Nutritional analysis files for easy import into software programs and adjustments for standardization in Local Education Agencies (LEAs).

Instructional segments include topics such as knife skills, weighing and measuring accurately, preparing foods for just-in-time service, work simplification and scheduling, effective use of equipment, and quality food preparation and service for a variety of meats, grains, fruits, vegetables, and condiments.

North Carolina K-12 Culinary Institute graduates become chef ambassadors prepared to teach other school nutrition professionals at the Local Education Agency/school level.    


Photo (L to R): Tihesa Burns (SSHS), Barbara Massey 
(NSMS), Stefanie Almond (Director), Cheryl Windham (Aquadale), Laceta Blalock (SSMS), Makayla Mabry 
(Richfield), and Danette Huneycutt (Supervisor). 
Photo: Lorie Thompson.
Menus & Nutrition (PDF)
Image result for grab & go
Norwood families!
Try the new 
Grab & Go breakfast!

Menus Jan 2018

Menus Dec 2017

Menus Nov 2017

Oakboro Choice STEM School: please follow Elementary School menus


Nutrition & Allergens
Notice: The data contained within these reports and the NUTRIKIDS(R) Menu Planning and Nutritional Analysis software should not be used for and does not provide menu planning for a child with a medical condition or food allergy. Ingredients and menu items are subject to change or substitution without notice. Please consult a medical professional for assistance in planning for or treating medical conditions.

Payment Options

Payments may be made by check (no starter checks), money order, or cash. We have partnered with Envison Payment Solutions as our check service provider. 

Payments are also accepted via debit or credit card by creating a free account at K12 Payment Center. This company processes credit card payments and charges a fee for use. The fee is not charged by Stanly County Schools. Click here for more information.

Getting a Phone Call?
Two types of phone calls are made on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings:

Courtesy Calls are made to students who have more than $0.01 but less than $5.00 on their account as a friendly reminder to avoid running out of money. TIP: if you regularly find yourself in this range, either bring the account to $0 by requesting a refund in writing from the cafeteria manager or by adding enough funds to bring the account over $5.00.

Negative Balance Calls are made to students who owe more than $5.00 to the school cafeteria. Please send payment to the school. Remember, you can avoid going into the negative by setting up automatic payments via K12 Payment Center!

2017-18 Free & Reduced Price 
Meals Application

Apply online through for an easy, secure and private application.
  • No more lost or misplaced applications.
  • Faster processing!
  • walks you through the simple process. Once your application is submitted, SCS Child Nutrition Services will determine your eligibility and send you a letter. You’ll need your most recent pay stubs.
  • IMPORTANT: If you receive a letter stating your child has already been approved for Free Meals for 2017-18, you do not need to fill out an application, but call us right away at 704-961-3000 if any of your children are missing from the letter we sent you.
  • You will receive a confirmation when your application is submitted. If you create an account in, you can sign up to receive electronic notifications when your application has been processed.
  • If you don’t have a computer or access to the internet, visit one of the locations on the other side of this card or stop by the school to pick up a paper form anytime.

You may also download and print a 2017-18 application in English, Spanish, or other languages

Please contact our office at 704-961-3000 for language assistance.


Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program
Central and East Albemarle Elementary Schools have qualified for the 2016-17 USDA FF&VP grant. The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program provides all students in selected elementary schools with free and reduced price enrollment with a wide variety of healthy fresh fruits and vegetables.  
Parent and community partners and volunteers are welcomed. Please contact the school principal if you are interested. 

Teacher resources:

Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)

The Community Eligibility Program (CEP) is a USDA program where schools may qualify for all students to eat a healthy breakfast and lunch at no charge. This is available at no additional cost to the district, the school, or families.

Central Elementary, East Albemarle Elementary, and Stanly Academy are eligible for CEP. Students at these schools DO NOT need to apply for Free or Reduced-Price Meals.
  • If you have students at Central or East Albemarle or Stanly Academy AND at another school, then you DO need to fill out an application if you want to apply for Free or Reduced-Price meals unless you receive a letter of Direct Certification from us. Be sure to put ALL students in your household on the application, even those at CEP schools.
  • If your student attends a CEP school and then transfers to another school, you will need to fill out an application if you want to apply for Free or Reduced-Price meals at the new school.

Click here for more info on CEP:

Special Diets

Please contact our office for forms in other languages.

FAQ Forms and Links
School Wellness Policy 6030

Don't see what you need? Please call Child Nutrition Services at 704-961-3000 for assistance.

Helpful Resources