In order to be eligible to enroll in SCS Driver Education Program, an individual must meet the following requirements:
~Attend a high school (public, private, charter, or home school) registered in Stanly County. Middle School students who are attending a public, private, charter, or home school registered in Stanly County ARE eligible to take Driver Education as long as they are 14 ½ years old on the first day of class and meet the other requirements. Residency in Stanly County does not determine Driver Education enrollment eligibility; the county in which the registered school (that the student attends) is the determining factor.
~Be 14 ½ on the first day of class. A student 18 or older who attends school in Stanly County is eligible for the classroom portion but must secure a Learner’s Permit from DMV before they are eligible to complete the Behind the Wheel/driving portion of the course.
~Have not previously enrolled in the SCS (or in any school district in NC) Driver Education program.
If a student lives in Stanly County, but attends school (public, private, charter, and home school) outside the county, the student is NOT eligible to receive Driver Education instructional (classroom and/or behind-the-wheel) training in Stanly County Schools.
Registration Information for SCS Driver's Education
- SCS charges a $65 registration fee that is due when registering with NC Driving School for the SCS Driver Education class.
- Please contact NC Driving School using this link or call 252-321-6700.
You will need to visit the school in which your child is currently enrolled to secure the Driving Eligibility Certificate. Each site will set its Driving Eligibility Certificate distribution process. Please contact that school to schedule an appointment. Once scheduled, bring the following documents to the appointment:
Student’s birth certificate or passport
Completed Driver Education Certificate
Proof of address if the current address is different than the one listed on the Driver Education Certificate or the address listed in PowerSchool. Address must be verified for the NC Real ID.
- First time permits/license applicants: No change, must receive Driver Eligibility Certificate
- For reinstatements: All licenses have been reinstated, if suspended for grades.
- If they possess their unexpired license, no further action is needed.
- If active and lost, they may order a duplicate, $13 fee, as with normal DMV services on the same website.
- If status is revoked/suspended, they may have other issues separate from this legislation.
- To check license status, visit NCMYDMV.gov. (input required info)