Enrollment in the SCS Driver Education program is open to any student who attends a public, private, charter, or home school registered in Stanly County and meets the eligibility requirements.
In order to be eligible to enroll in SCS Driver Education Program, an individual must meet the following requirements:
~Attend a high school (public, private, charter, or home school) registered in Stanly County. Middle School students who are attending a public, private, charter, or home school registered in Stanly County ARE eligible to take Driver Education as long as they are 14 ½ years old on the first day of class and meet the other requirements. Residency in Stanly County does not determine Driver Education enrollment eligibility; the county in which the registered school (that the student attends) is the determining factor.
~Be 14 ½ on the first day of class. A student 18 or older who attends school in Stanly County is eligible for the classroom portion but must secure a Learner’s Permit from DMV before they are eligible to complete the Behind the Wheel/driving portion of the course.
~Have not previously enrolled in the SCS (or in any school district in NC) Driver Education program.
If a student lives in Stanly County, but attends school (public, private, charter, and home school) outside the county, the student is NOT eligible to receive Driver Education instructional (classroom and/or behind-the-wheel) training in Stanly County Schools.
Registration Information for SCS Driver's Education
- There is a $65 registration fee that is due when registering for the SCS Driver Education class. Registration cannot be finalized without payment being received.
- Payment can be made at the Board of Education located at 1000-4 N. First Street, Albemarle. Cash, check and cashier's checks are accepted. Credit card payments or electronic transfers are not available at this time. If paying with cash, the exact amount must be submitted.
- Interested parties may complete the online registration link on the right side of this page but will not be scheduled for a class until the payment is received.
- Due to COVID-19, there are limits on the number of students in each class and the number of classes offered through SCS. Students will be registered according to their birthdate (oldest students will receive priority).
- Please read all online registration directions completely.
- January 5 - 8 and 11 - 15 (all classes are from 3:00 PM - 6:20 PM). This class is full.
- February 1 - 5 and 8 - 12 (all classes are from 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM) This class is full.
- February 15 - 19 and 22 - 26 (all classes are from 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM) This class is full.
You will need to visit the school in which your child is currently enrolled to secure the Driving Eligibility Certificate. Each site will set its Driving Eligibility Certificate distribution process. Please contact that school to schedule an appointment. Once scheduled, bring the following documents to the appointment:
Student’s birth certificate or passport
Completed Driver Education Certificate
Proof of address if the current address is different than the one listed on the Driver Education Certificate or the address listed in PowerSchool. Address must be verified for the NC Real ID.
- Parents/Guardians of participating students must sign the COVID-19 Informed Consent form once. This form is available on the district Driver Education website and should be printed and signed prior to coming to the first class session.
- Students are required to wear a cloth face covering at all times during BTW instruction. Students are to supply their own face covering. If there is a medical condition that requires that a student NOT wear a cloth face covering, medical documentation is required before the first session. Medical documentation must be approved by the school nurse before the face covering requirement is waived.
- Marvin Smith Driving School is driving one student at a time during the BTW portion. Dash cameras are operating whenever the student and instructor are in the car.
- Students will be screened by the driver education instructor prior to each BTW driving session. Parents should remain in their car until the student has turned in all paperwork for the day and completed the screening process. If any qualifying symptom is evident or a “Yes” is answered during the screening process, instruction cannot and will not continue until set criteria has been met.
- Extensive cleaning and sanitizing will take place between each driver. All instructors go through a symptom screening process and are required to wear a face covering at all times when with students.
- Students must provide their own water.
- Students should use the restroom before reporting to class or BTW instruction, as restrooms may not be readily available.